Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Stereotypes

Today an exchange student from France said she was surprised when she learned that I am American. Apparently, I am too quiet to fit the stereotype of the loud American. In all fairness to the other student, her roommate is also an American and has a rather loud personality. I am, of course, conscious that the general American stereotype is loud, often ignorant of world affairs, and gun obsessed. Perhaps I have made then a conscious effort of being quiet, though really I think it is more of a reflection of my personality than my nationality. Whenever I am asked a question about the United States, about population size, infrastructure, or other subjects, I feel a pressure to have some answer. I do not want to play into the stereotype of Americans being poorly informed. In admitting that, however, what I realized is how few stereotypes I am aware of other countries, let alone actual facts about population demographics, government, and culture.
        I have actually asked Australian and other international students what their American stereotypes are.  Such a topic usually brings up gun laws, the death penalty, cost of an education, and general geography of the United States. I tend to only ask such questions after knowing a person for sometime, however. This way I am sure comments will be either playful or serious but without trying to be offensive. I think there is a value to having an outsider’s view of what a country is like because it lets you better understand how your actions are affecting others. There have been a few absurd misconceptions that were very amusing as well as spot on claims. Overall, I think I am not encouraging the negative stereotypes of Americans with my actions, though the more time I spend here the less concerned I am with others perceiving my actions as “so American”.  

No comments:

Post a Comment