Sunday, March 22, 2015

Support Systems

The best part of my week was not an adventure or a new experience. Rather, it was simply talking with friends whom I have not been able to catch up with since coming to Australia. It was good to experience that support system again and be reminded that it is still there, even if those in it are no longer in the next room over.
       On the other end of the spectrum, a negative experience this week was realizing I missed a get together with some of the few people I know in my building. I was at rugby practice during the BBQ. Though I am glad I went to practice because I am closer to my teammates than those I live with, I still had a sense of missing out. Though I already knew before this trip that commitment to certain groups and organizations means not participating in others, the feelings of missing out were not diminished. Regardless of this, however, I am happy in my decision to involve myself in the rugby community rather than others. It has proven to be a place that I can more easily connect with people and feel a part of a community in which I might, over time, develop another a support system.

No comments:

Post a Comment