Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Highs and Lows

The highlight of my week was the Women’s Rugby Information session I attended. It was great to joke with veteran players and hear the questions of the new ones. I have played rugby for five years now and what I love most about the sport is that community feeling I get from players, even when they are my opponents. For me, being a part of a team is about being committed to others who are also committed to you. It is a promise to watch each other’s backs on and off the field, to show up, and to become better at the game. The community feel is just as big of a draw to the sport for me as the game itself. This meeting being the highlight of my week speaks, I think, to my desire to find a community to really be apart of it.

        My least favorite moment was when I attended the Science Fiction appreciation club. Though I started off adding to the discussion, as well as introducing myself to the people near me, soon I found the conversation hard to join in on. At first I was alright with simply listening, but as the conversation veered out of my area of expertise, I lost interest and became disengaged. I stayed for ten or fifteen minutes to see if the conversation would turn again, but after noting that I had been there for almost an hour already I decided to leave. I figured I had put enough effort for the time being into trying to connect with others and I really did not want to be there any more. This being my low point of the week I think speaks again to my desire to connect with other and feel like I am a part of a community once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment